This gluten-free tart is packed with juicy frozen mixed berries and encased with a crisp buckwheat and almond pastry. Not only a delicious way to end a meal, it’s also rich in antioxidants, fragrant spices and good fats.
Mixed Berry, Buckwheat & Almond Vegan Tart
For the pastry:
- 60g buckwheat flour
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- A pinch sea salt
- 65g of coconut oil, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp filtered water
For the filling:
- 980g mixed frozen berries
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F/Gas 4
- To prepare the pastry, add the buckwheat flour, ground almonds, flaxseed, arrowroot, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt to a large mixing bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Add the coconut oil to the mixing bowl and rub into the flours with your fingers to form a heavy crumb texture.
- Add the filtered water a little at a time and bring together using your hands to form a dough. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes to chill.
- Whilst the dough is chilling, add the berries to a large bowl with the maple syrup, arrowroot powder, ginger and cinnamon. Stir well to combine and set aside until ready to use.
- Remove the chilled pastry from the fridge and press into the base and edges of a large loose-bottomed tart tin that’s 35 x 12.5cm (14x5in). The pastry should be of an even thickness on the base and sides – about 4mm. Reserve the remaining pastry for your decorations.
- Prick the pastry base with a fork and transfer to the oven for 8 minutes until lightly golden.
- Stir the berries again, then spoon into the part-cooked pastry, tightly packing the fruit. Drizzle the juices from the fruit bowl over the top of the fruit.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the fruit is tender and releasing their juices.
- Whilst the tart is cooking, roll out the reserved dough to 3mm thick. Use your preferred cookie or pastry cutters to cut decorations from the rolled dough.
- After 20 minutes, remove the tart from the oven and arrange the pastry decorations over the top of the fruit. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes until the pastry is cooked through and golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
Recipe & photography by Emma Carter, for the Natural Chef Diploma Courses at CNM, the College of Naturopathic Medicine: naturalchef.com 01342 410 505
CNM (College of Naturopathic Medicine) has a 22-year track record training successful natural health professionals in class and online. Colleges across the UK and Ireland. CNM Natural Chef is accredited by ICSA (Independent Cookery Schools Association). Visit naturalchef.com or call 01342 410 505.