This fusion dish showcases the prominent French influences in Vietnamese cuisine. Crusty French style baguettes and a creamy mayonnaise based dressing combine with pickled vegetables and spicy marinated tofu to create this delicious sandwich.
For the tofu:
- 300g smoked tofu, drained
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
For the pickled vegetables:
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/8 red cabbage, shredded
- ½ cucumber, in ribbons
- 6 tsp sea salt flakes
- 6 tsp caster sugar
- 480ml (2 cups) white wine vinegar
For the dressing:
- 6 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 large or 2 small French baguettes, sliced in half lengthways
- Fresh coriander, chives and mint
- Lime wedges
- Shredded spring onions
- Slice the tofu and set aside. In a shallow dish, mix all the remaining tofu ingredients together to create a marinade. Add the tofu to the dish, coating both sides thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place the pickling vegetables in separate bowls. Mix together the vinegar, sugar and salt and pour over the vegetables. Stir well to coat them in the mixture. Cover and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients until smooth. Taste and add some more sriracha if you’d prefer it more spicy.
- Heat a large griddle pan over a high heat and arrange the tofu in a single layer in the pan. Press down on the tofu with a spatula to help create char marks.
- Cook for 5 minutes before flipping over the tofu to cook on the other side. Add a little of the marinade now and again to help the tofu caramelise.
- When ready to serve, spread the baguettes generously with the mayonnaise and load up with tofu and pickles. Add in some spring onions, fresh herbs and chilli slices, if using. Serve the remaining dressing on the side for dipping.
Per serving (575g) Calories: 623, Carbohydrates: 72.3g, Sugars: 25.9g, Salt: 18.1g, Fat: 24.5g Saturates: 2.6g, Protein: 11.9g